Sunday, April 19, 2009

32 years worth.


I am sitting in the house alone…Ahhh….Silence….I forgot what that was like. Tony is out on a walk with the kids, and there are a million things I could and should be doing. He told me to take a nice hot bath and relax, but it’s me, I don’t relax. In fact, I don’t think I know how.

I am sitting here instead writing, because really that’s all I love to do. I am looking back on my life, because in a few days I will be 32. Man, has it been that long. It started to depress me, because I felt like I had really nothing for being 32 years old. I looked at those around me my age, and felt like they had accomplished so much more. My sister is a nurse, my step-sister is a nurse, some friends are Doctors, some friends are teachers. Some friends have degrees in finance, and others have art and history degrees. Some are accountants, and my step brother is a professor. The man I love has a psychology degree. Oh lord, what does he think of me??

I started college, but didn’t finish. What have I done with my life? On career day, do my girls ask me to come in and talk about waiting tables??

And then I said NO!!! I am something.

I am a mom to three beautiful, healthy, intelligent kids.
I am a mom who reads to them every single night.
I am a mom who has missed only 5 soccer games out of at least 200 played.
I am a mom who makes sure breakfast is made, lunches are packed, and good meals await them for dinner.
I am a mom who sits and does home work with them, and helps them get straight A’s.
I am a mom who goes on field trips.
I am a mom who teaches my children right and wrong and that is why they are never in trouble.
I am a mom who bathes them every night and tucks them in to bed.
I am a mom who plans all the birthday parties and makes home made invitations.
I am the mom who is the first one of the day to say I love you and the last one to say it at the end of the night.
I am a mom who has seen all the first steps, heard all the first laughs, taught all the first words.
I am a mom, plain as can be, but that is what I am.

So, what do I have to show for my life?? I have three beautiful children who look up to me, not because I am a waitress a few nights a week, but because I revolve my schedule and my life around them. When they need something I am there, I am the first person there. I am there for every award, game , party, belly ache, all the sad, all the good, and all the hard moments, I am the one they look for and I am there. If there was a degree made for stay at home mommies, I think I deserve it.

So yes, am I jealous of these wonderful women around me who have amazing careers. I am in awe of them at times and wish that I too had done these things with my life. But, if you told me that I would have to work and miss out on these moments, than I guess I would say, no. This is what I was meant to do. And, one day, yes, I want to finish school, or write a book, or take a photography class. But for now I am so grateful that I have a wonderful man, who allows me to see and be there for every single part of my girls’ lives.

That is what my 32 years have meant.
Is it a glamorous life? Maybe not to all.
But to me, I feel like it is.
I feel like I am a lady walking the red carpet ever day that I wake up.

3 comments:

  1. Awe. Such a sweet post! You are an amazing mommy with three amazing girls! A piece of paper stating we have a degree from some college is nothing compared to the place we hold in our children's hearts! You, my dear sister, hold the highest degree of all! Actually motherhood is successfully holding several degrees/occupations, as you have touched on... Chauffeur, coach, teacher, chef, nurse, personal assistant, psychologist, and the list could go on... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Talina..I appreciate everything you said!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ill bet that most of those women you spoke of were "jealous" of what YOU have...Much Love and Respect!!!! Jana

    ReplyDelete